Support for “A Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation” Based on the United Nations Global Compact
- We support and have signed “A Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation” that promotes greater unity between governments and private businesses.
- We will continue to promote ESG management to respect and realize the ten principles of the United Nations (UN) Global Compact and for achievement of the SDGs
Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd. (Head Office: 2-2-3, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, President: Keiichi Kobayashi) supports and has signed “United in the Business of a Better World: A Statement from Business Leaders for Renewed Global Cooperation,” which was submitted to the Secretary-General of the UN by the UN Global Compact. This is a statement that calls for international cooperation towards the realization of a more sustainable future and was submitted at the UN General Assembly in September this year, a milestone marking the 75th anniversary of the UN and the 20th anniversary of the UN Global Compact. More than 1,000 business leaders from over 100 countries and regions support and have signed the statement.
By supporting this statement, we will work together with the Furukawa Electric Group to respect and realize the ten principles of the UN Global Compact and for achievement of the SDGs.
The UN Global Compact has called on governments and private companies to cooperate to address climate change and other issues occurring globally. This year, the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the UN, the COVID-19 pandemic is occurring and through this statement, we are encouraging companies and organizations that support this statement to unite further.
Content of the statement
In the spirit of renewed global cooperation, we commit to:
- Demonstrate ethical leadership and good governance through values-based strategies, policies, operations and relationships when engaging with all stakeholders
- Invest in addressing systemic inequalities and injustices through inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making at all levels of our business
- Partner with the UN, Government and civil society to strengthen access to justice, ensure accountability and transparency, provide legal certainty, promote equality and respect human rights
In making that commitment, we also call on Governments to:
- Protect human rights, ensure peace and security, and uphold the rule of law so that businesses, individuals and societies can flourish
- Create an enabling environment to serve the interests of people and planet, prosperity and purpose, through strengthened international cooperation and national legal frameworks
- Enhance multilateralism and global governance to combat corruption, build resilience and achieve the SDGs
UN Global Compact
Furukawa Electric signed the Global Compact put forward by the UN on February 24, 2020. Furukawa Electric Group believes that respecting and realizing the ten principles of the UN Global Compact will lead to the strengthening of our management foundations and help us to continue growing sustainably as a global company.
Furukawa Electric Group’s efforts towards the SDGs
Based on the corporate philosophy of “Drawing on more than a century of expertise in the development and fabrication of advanced materials to contribute to the realization of a sustainable society through continuous technological innovation,” the Furukawa Electric Group is conducting business activities centered on four core technological capabilities (metals, polymers, photonics and high frequency). Moreover, keeping in mind the “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” adopted by the UN, we formulated the “Furukawa Electric Group Vision 2030,” which clarified the business areas of the Furukawa Electric Group, and are advancing efforts aimed at “creating solutions for the new generation of global infrastructure combining information, energy, and mobility to build a sustainable world and make people’s life safe, peaceful, and rewarding.