Furukawa Electric Group Published “Integrated Report 2020” and “Sustainability Book 2020”
- Emerging as a sustainable corporate group through the promotion of ESG Management and the SDGs -
- The Furukawa Electric Group has published our first “Integrated Report” to outline Group initiatives related to ESG management and the SDGs with a focus on materiality (important management issues).
- At the same time, we also published “Sustainability Book 2020” to summarize environment, social, governance, and other non-financial information together with detailed information on activities that contribute to communities and society.
- We will continue to promote communication with our stakeholders.
Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd. (Head Office: 2-2-3, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, President: Keiichi Kobayashi) published “Furukawa Electric Group Integrated Report 2020” and “Furukawa Electric Group Sustainability Book 2020” on October 30, 2020, in place of the “Sustainability Report” that we have conventionally issued.
Along with formulating “Furukawa Electric Group, Vision 2030” (Vision 2030) last year, the Furukawa Electric Group also identified important management issues (materiality) in recent years and has accelerated initiatives related to ESG management and the SDGs, such as climate change measures and corporate governance enhancement. There has also been growing interest in ESG and the SDGs around the world.
Against this backdrop, we recognized the need to strengthen communication intended to enhance corporate value over the medium- to long-term as a means of deepening the understanding of Group initiatives among investors and other stakeholders. For this purpose, we set out to evolve our conventional “Sustainability Report,” which combines environment, social, governance, and other non-financial information with management results, strategies, and other financial information, into the “Integrated Report,” which compiles our ESG management and SDGs initiatives with a focus on materiality.
Furukawa Electric Group Integrated Report 2020
Integrated Report 2020 describes the Group initiatives and measures designed to achieve Vision 2030.
The Group defines the important management issues that must be addressed to achieve Vision 2030 as “materiality,” and has identified “Creating businesses that solve social issues,” “Open, Agile, Innovative,” and “Building partnerships with various stakeholders” as revenue opportunities related materiality. Similarly, we have identified “Developing business activities that consider climate change,” “Strengthening human capital management and organizational execution abilities,” and “Building a governance system to strengthen risk management” as risk related materiality. The report also describes the process we employ to identify these together with closely related SDGs.
- About Furukawa Electric Group
- Business Strategy: President’s Message, CFO Message, Important Management Issues (materiality), Investigating SDGs Priority Issues through Value Chain Mapping
- Business Foundation: Climate Change Measures (including efforts in line with TCFD recommendations), Human Capital Management, Supply Chain, and Corporate Governance
- Corporate Information/Financial and Non-Financial Data
Furukawa Electric Group Sustainability Book 2020
Sustainability Book 2020 includes environment, social, governance, and other non-financial information that we were unable to cover in detail in Integrated Report 2020, as well as community-related initiatives.
- Library: ESG Data Sheets, External Evaluation
“Furukawa Electric Group Integrated Report 2020” and “Furukawa Electric Group Sustainability Book 2020” are available on the Furukawa Electric website.
Furukawa Electric Group’s efforts towards the SDGs
Based on the corporate philosophy of “Drawing on more than a century of expertise in the development and fabrication of advanced materials to contribute to the realization of a sustainable society through continuous technological innovation,” the Furukawa Electric Group is conducting business activities centered on four core technological capabilities (metals, polymers, photonics and high frequency). Moreover, keeping in mind the “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)” adopted by the UN, we formulated the “Furukawa Electric Group Vision 2030,” which clarified the business areas of the Furukawa Electric Group, and are advancing efforts aimed at “creating solutions for the new generation of global infrastructure combining information, energy, and mobility to build a sustainable world and make people’s life safe, peaceful, and rewarding.